Pages

10 April 2008

nandri!



Nandri is "thank you" in Tamil and I'm thanking Sindhu for giving me these blog awards. nandri, nandri, nandri, Sindhu! hugs to you, my Indian sister! I think you know how I love Tamil Nadu!

Please check out Sindhu's other blogs, especially Flower Girl's Rural India and Flowergirl's Recipes (for all you Indian food lovers.)

Sindhu honored me by asking if I would write something about my Indian adventures so mine was the first post in her Travelogue section of her blog. anytime I feel "homesick" for India (although I've only been to Tamil Nadu three times I consider it my second home), I go to Sindhu's Rural India blog. my most wonderful experiences have been in rural Tamil Nadu, and I'll tell you a secret: my dream is to open a yoga shala in Kumbakonam, teaching western visitors and helping the locals with therapeutic yoga. sigh...if only...hey, there's a donation button in the sidebar, hint, hint...maybe I'll get an anonymous benefactor...sigh....

People talk about wanting to go to India to see the "real India" -- people think that the "real India" is all about naked sadhus, spirituality, yoga, and temple incense. but all of India is the "real India" -- from the $200 a night hotel rooms to the rich Bollywood movie stars to the street beggars to the naked slum children using garbage for their toys. one of the things that I love about India is that nothing is hidden, everything is in your face 24/7, life and death on the streets. that can be very hard for westerners to get used to, if they ever do, but for me, it is liberation.

you either love or hate India, there is no in between. as soon as I put my feet down on Indian soil, I feel as if I have come home.



1 comment:

Flowergirl said...

HUGGGSSSSSSSSS.. I have no words to say dear Sis. Luv u soooooooooo much

I pray that your wishes come true.

Take care.