Pages

03 December 2007

musical monday

My regular readers may have noticed that I haven't written much lately about yoga, Buddhism, Tibet, or social action, the subjects that are near and dear to my heart. For whatever reason as 2007 draws to a close, I find myself pre-occupied with other things: my impending trip to India, a medical procedure I will have next week, and teaching at a new yoga studio. but the drama never ends at the studio where I used to teach.

Another teacher quit last week for the same reason I left -- the alcoholic dysfunction of the owner. It so happens that the teacher who quit was the only teacher who supported me when I had my confrontation with the owner in September. it had come to her attention that the owner yet again had taught her class in, shall we say, a less than functional state, and my friend decided, enough is enough, that she could not continue teaching at a studio that is based on lies and delusions and the denial and complicity of the other teachers.

as the saying goes, all things happen for a reason. I am enjoying teaching at the new yoga studio. I live in a suburban area about 45 miles outside of Chicago -- think of the stereotypes about "white bread suburbia" and that pretty much sums up where I live. But all I have to do is drive 15 minutes and I'm in the middle of corn and soybean fields, and in another 20 minutes the landscape is dotted with farms and stables and farm tractor companies. I prefer that environment much more but we live where we do so The Husband can have a quasi-sane drive to his office.

The location of the new yoga studio can be called rural small town which happens to be right next door to a small university town. So the vibe and the mindsets of the students are immediately different. For one, they are appreciative of whatever style of yoga is taught at the studio, it's yoga for the sake of yoga. There is no yoga snobbery. There is no sense of entitlement as the students had in white bread suburbia where Tyler and Tiffany are bought a brand new Hummer for their 16th birthdays. The students don't come in the latest yoga clothes with the hand-painted chakras, endorsed by Seane Corn, don't cha know -- many come in sweat pants and baggy T-shirts.

So I am grateful to teach in this environment and am humbled by the response to my teaching. I did a second yin yoga workshop yesterday that had over 20 students and because the first two workshops were so popular, the owner asked me to do another one in two weeks. Twelve students signed up for it immediately after yesterday's workshop.

Maybe humbled is too mild a word -- blown away would be more accurate. One of my students who studied with me at the other studio lives in this town and has just gotten a job with the local paper as a free-lance writer on fitness. She gets paid $20 an article -- I told you it was small town -- but she is happy for it because as she says, it pays for a yoga class. She wrote a story about my first workshop that was entitled "Local Yoga Enthusiasts Thrilled as Popular Instructor Comes to Town." She gave me a copy of the article yesterday and I got all choked up. really. wow. I felt like Shiva Rea. But you'll never see a picture of me with my hair blowing in the wind.

Yup, all things happen for a reason.

4 comments:

Tracy said...

I am thrilled for you and your new Yoga teaching position!! Congrats to you my friend~I will be thinking of you when you have your procedure done, and I wish you only the best always!
Namaste~
Tracy

Fran said...

What a time of evolution and transition for you. How great to read about your new environment- after having read about your old one.

I am so pleased that you are in a new teaching environment and that it is much clearer light.

As for your health- I send you light and lots of it.

And for your journey as well.

Namaste my sister-
FranIam

Unknown said...

i love sonny landreth!
i want to some day have a yoga shala where there aren't any. there are so many studios piled up on top of each other here in the city it really makes it hard. i know there are SO many rural areas in the world that yoga is needed/wanted.
i'm happy for your recent success.
off to india manana. i'll see your soul there!

gartenfische said...

Oh come on, I want to see a picture of you with your hair blowing in the wind. ;)

So happy for you that you've found a better place and are happy and appreciated there.

And down, down, down with yoga snobbery.