Pages

08 June 2010

where the ordinary meets the extraordinary

My regular readers know that I attended the Kumbh Mela in Hardiwar in February for 9 days. I bathed in the Ganges on Mahashivaratri. While I was not at the Mela towards the end in March and April when there were millions more people than in February, I certainly don't feel as if I missed anything. I was there on a very auspicious day and it was wondrous and indeed, extraordinary. I hope that my karma is such that I can return to the Maha Kumbh in Haridwar 12 years from now. Who knows? I would be almost 70, hari om....

Baba Rampuri shared this video with me. It shows the initiations of a "blue-eyed" yogi and a yogini.

Rampuri's book Autobiography of a Sadhu has been republished, and I read it in 2005 when it came out under the title Baba: Autobiography of a Blue-Eyed Yogi. I found it a fascinating account of the naga baba life from a western perspective.

In this video the initiation is being done in the naga babas' camp. I walked through the camp twice during the Mela and was blessed by this sadhu:



He is an Urdhabahu Sadhu, a sadhu who keeps an arm up until it atrophies, the physical manifestation of tapas and bhakti. Most of the men and women in the camps are tantric yogis.





Where the ordinary world meets the extraordinary world.....



after bathing in the the Ganges


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Been meaning to watch this video for a while and finally did. Awesome!

I do so hope to make to to the Kumbh Mela at some point in my life... :)

Urdhabahu Sadhu is amazing. I can't even comprehend how what he has done is possible.