Pages

02 July 2007

Gehlek Rimpoche

Throughout this blog I have mentioned my spiritual teacher, Gehlek Rimpoche. I've just returned from a one week retreat with him on the subject of developing compassion. I consider myself very fortunate to study with this man who was recognized as an incarnate lama and is from the last generation of lamas to be fully educated in "good old Tibet" (as Rimpoche calls it) before his escape in 1959.

While I have not studied with him for as long as many people have, Rimpoche has touched my heart. He has the same presence as the Dalai Lama, that is, when he talks to you, he makes you feel as if you are the only one in the room. And I love hugging him! I told him that hugging him is like hugging a big teddy bear!

I've posted this YouTube video just to give you a sample of him. This video is from a talk he gave in Malaysia in May, 2007 on Buddhism in the 21st century. This talk is continued in a series of videos on YouTube if you are interested.



During last week's retreat he told us how very precious this life is, how wonderful and important we are, and how we should never waste any opportunities that present themselves to us because we can accomplish anything...including total enlightenment in this lifetime. Buddhahood is available for each and every one of us, we only have to water the seeds of our own buddha-nature.

He reminded us how we should stop staying "I'll do (fill in the blank) next time..." because "next time" never comes. How true is that? How often do we continually say that we'll do such and such "next time"? Buddha taught that death is certain, but that the time of death is uncertain.

Live your lives by asking yourselves "if not now, when?" Truly LIVE your lives, don't sleep-walk through them, half-awake to the beauty and joy that surrounds you every minute of the day.

Also, here is an excerpt from "The Hidden Treasure of the Heart", an article by Aura Glaser in the July Shambhala Sun. Aura was one of the two women responsible for bringing Rimpoche to the United States way back when. Thankfully they brought him to my neck of the woods, the Heartland of America, the Midwest, instead of the East or West Coasts (they have enough yogis and Buddhists anyway!)

I bow to Rimpoche and to Buddha Shakyamuni...

OM AH GURU VAJRADHARA JINA SHASANA SUKALYANA
VIJAYA SARVA SIDDHI HUNG HUNG

OM MUNI MUNI MAHA MUNIYE SOHA

peace to you all...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Linda,

Thanks so much for your post on Gehlek Rimpoche. I really enjoyed reading it. I have an ongoing google search for new Rimpoche info.

I was at this retreat also, maybe you saw the guy with the oxygen tank. I've been to quite a few retreats since 2000. To me, Rimpoche really "delivers the goods".

Best wishes, Bob

Linda-Sama said...

you're sweet! yes, I did see you...

thanks for reading!