Pages

06 February 2008

the new official transportation of this blog

Back in October I wrote a post about what the official transportation of Linda's Yoga Journey is, i.e., the ubiquitous Indian autorickshaw. here is the post so you can read all about it.

However, since returning from my third trip the rick has been replaced by the lovely bullock cart. yes, friends, I am in love with bullocks and the carts that they pull.


(view from atop a bullock cart)


(bullock decorated for a Pongal celebration)


(proud bullock owner)

I attended a village's Pongal celebration (Pongal being a holiday like our Thanksgiving, which I will write about later) and I had the great fortune to be given a ride to the village on top of a bullock cart.

You see working bullocks all over Tamil Nadu and for the most part they are placid creatures. Their eyes always seem to say that this is their lot in life so why get upset about anything.

The ride on the cart was very relaxing but I was very tempted to tell the driver "faster, faster!" so I could experience a run-away bullock cart. I wanted to pretend I was on a run-away stagecoach like in an old Western movie. what can I say? ever since I was a girl I always wanted to push the envelope. But it was a slow, easy ride where these kids were my bullock cart partners:





this was one of my wonderful tamil nadu days that I so achingly miss right now as I look out my window and watch the snow come down. we are supposed to get a foot of snow here in chicagoland and ever since I returned on January 23, this weather has been a total shock to my system after being in south india for a month!

When I returned from india so ill, I told myself that I would give india a break in 2009. but the missing is palpable and it is like an ache in my heart.

oh well....to paraphrase Louis Armstrong about jazz, if I have to explain, you wouldn't understand.

3 comments:

Fran said...

I am in love!

With bullocks, with smiles, with India, with yoga, with love!

Linda-Sama said...

ha! you're cute, sis!

Vanessa said...

Wow, what a journey, Linda. That was wonderful! Thanks for sharing. :)